How Can I Be Sure My Flood Insurance Is Adequate?

Flood insurance is an important type of insurance if you live in a high-risk flood area. Since homeowners insurance won’t cover damage due to floods, getting a flood insurance policy is the only way to protect yourself from the costs associated with repairing a home after a flood.

At Kingston Insurance Agency LLC, servicing South Kingstown, RI, we’re here to answer your questions about flood insurance and help ensure your flood insurance policy is adequate for your needs. We’re a resource for our customers, and we’re also the subject matter experts on everything related to insurance. If you’re trying to decide whether your flood insurance policy is right for you, here’s what you need to know.

What Is Flood Insurance?

Flood insurance is a type of insurance that can repair your home that a flood has damaged. Flood insurance covers direct physical losses to your home’s structure following a flood. Flood insurance also provides coverage if your belongings are damaged by a flood as well. 

Flood Insurance is a type of insurance that the National Flood Insurance Program offers. 

How Can I Be Sure My Flood Insurance Is Adequate?

When you’re getting flood insurance for your home, you’ll work with your insurance agent to ensure adequate flood insurance coverage. The National Flood Insurance Program places limits on how much it will cover for structure and belongings, so if the coverage offered by the NFIP isn’t enough, your insurance agent may recommend getting a policy from a private flood insurance provider. 

Have questions? Kingston Insurance Agency LLC, servicing South Kingstown, RI, can help. We offer various insurance services and are happy to answer your questions. Call today.

Does Flood Insurance Cover My Garage?

If you live in South Kingstown, RI, you know how unpredictable nature can be. With rising sea levels and frequent storms, your property and belongings are at risk of flood damage. As residents of this area, we understand your concern about protecting your garage. 

What does flood insurance cover?

Flood insurance comes in two parts: building coverage and content coverage. Building coverage covers the physical structure of your home, including the foundation, walls, roof, built-in appliances, floorings, etc. Meanwhile, content coverage can include personal items such as clothing, furniture, and electronics. However, this coverage usually does not apply to garages.

Garage Coverage under Different Policies

Basic homeowner’s insurance policies rarely cover flood damages. Some policies offer exceptions for loss or damages that occur because of an overflow of water from your indoor plumbing, leading to damage in your garage area. It’s essential to check with your provider regarding the extent of your coverage.

A National Flood Insurance Program may cover detached or attached garages since the coverage extends to structures on the insured property. Our Kingston Insurance Agency LLC representatives can help you understand the details of your policy and explain what it would take to extend your coverage if it’s unavailable under your current plan.

Reach Out To Us

You have made a significant investment in your garage. Talk to Kingston Insurance Agency LLC about your flood insurance options and get expert advice. We understand your need for peace of mind about your property and belongings in South Kingstown, RI daily. Don’t take any risks! Protect your garage and outdoor buildings by calling us today.

3 Ways Flood Insurance Helps Protect You

Anywhere it can rain, it can potentially flood. Even if you’re not in a high-risk area for flooding, it may be worth looking into a flood insurance policy. At Kingston Insurance Agency LLC, serving the South Kingstown, RI area, we believe in being prepared. Flood insurance is a great way to help mitigate the damage and ease your financial burden in the event of a natural disaster.

Here are three ways that flood insurance can help keep you and your family protected:

1) Flood insurance protects the structure of your home

This includes the house and its foundations, heating and air conditioning systems, electrical and plumbing systems, paneling, cabinets, attached bookcases, and even a detached garage, should you have one. This coverage helps ease the financial burden placed on homeowners to rebuild and assess any structural damage done to their homes in a flood.

2) Flood insurance considers replacement costs

Replacement cost is what it would take financially to rebuild a home in today’s dollars. Flood insurance takes this into consideration for a primary residence when assessing how much to pay, leaving you a good chance of getting close to if not all you need to help you through the period after the flood.

3) Flood insurance also has personal contents coverage

This covers personal effects such as clothing, electronics, furniture, freezers and the food in them, and even art (up to a specified limit).

Give Us A Call

Contact us today at Kingston Insurance Agency LLC. We’re proud to serve the South Kingstown, RI area and believe that insurance shouldn’t be intimidating. Give us a call or stop in today and we’ll get you set up with a flood insurance policy that’s right for you.

What does flood insurance cover?

Floods are natural disasters that can hit almost anywhere. All it takes is a severe storm and some extended rain and creeks, streams and rivers are overflowing their banks. Hurricanes churn up massive waves in the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. All of these result in flooding. As little as one inch of water can cause more than $20.000 in damage to your home. At Kingston Insurance Agency LLC in South Kingstown, RI, we are an independent insurance agency that prides itself on providing exceptional customer service to our clients. 

Flood insurance is offered by the NFIP. It is sold in two parts; contents and property. Both of them have set limits on coverage. The parts are sold separately and everyone can choose to have one or both, depending on what your needs are. In order to be eligible to purchase the insurance offered by NFIP, you must live in a community that takes part in their program. 


The limit of coverage for content is $100,000. If this is inadequate, you can look into private flood insurance. Content coverage will reimburse you for the loss of your furniture, clothing, small appliances, electronics, and even some jewelry. Your washer and dryer, window or portable air conditioners, microwave, rugs not permanently attached to your floor are also covered. 


The building portion has a limit of $250,000 which, again, may not be adequate and you can opt for a private insurance provider. In addition to the physical structure of the house, this coverage will pay for the major systems such as heat and cooling, electrical, and plumbing, the foundation, major appliances such as the stove and refrigerator, and the dishwasher, built-in bookcases, cabinets, carpeting, and flooring. 

If you are in the market for flood insurance, contact Kingston Insurance Agency LLC in South Kingstown, RI, and let us help you find the right coverage.